Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Alexandra's Pizza - Known for its pizza probably not for its chicken wings.

When you are really hungry, and you have just gotten into town after a long day of traveling, it is probably always best to order something that you know is good rather than going out on a limb and hoping for the best, otherwise you will end up like me. Going to be hungry.


Location:

 1263 Queen St.
 Halifax, NS B3J 1M5
 Canada
 +1 902-425-1900
 Map


Critique:

For some reason I always have to order something different.  When a place has the word "pizza" in its name you should take it as a hint to order the pizza, they are probably pretty good at it. Instead I was craving chicken wings and a donair (Eastern Canadian speciality, maybe even created in Halifax - see: History of the donair) and because of those cravings ended up with what had to be the worst chicken wings I have eaten (or in this case attempted to eat.)

I like my chicken wings to be large, plump and juicy. Cooked in the sauce to help lock in the flavor. The wings from Alexandra's were overcooked, small and had all of the sauce on the side. It was like eating leather off of a bone. Honestly they didn't even taste like chicken, which is what really turned me off of them. I ended up only being able to stomach one wing and threw the rest away.

I don't have a picture to adquetly describe how the chicken wings looked, but I think this image gets the point across (image taken from pita.org)

As for the donair, well in the traditional sense it was really a Kabab Donar which uses lambs meet instead of beef.  I was disappointed to see the lambs meet (I like this version as well) but I was really looking forward to the "Halifax Donair" with a spicy sweet garlic sauce and seasoned beef, but instead I ended up with lambs meet in Tzatziki sauce. Needless to say my overall experience was not good.

Rating:

Today's Food: 2
Delivery Service: 7
Overall Satisfaction: 3


URL:

http://www.alexandraspizza.com/


Alexandra's Pizza on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment