Monday, March 7, 2011

Domino's Pizza - Not just pizza anymore.

Domino's Pizza online ordering system is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Location:

  156 W 1230 N
  Provo, UT 84604
  801-418-1100

Price of Meal:

  8 Wings $5.99
  2 Topping Medium Pizza $5.99
  $11.98 + tax
Critique:

As I was sitting on my couch watching TV a commercial for Domino's Pizza came on. The commercial is called The Man Behind the Chicken.

Being hungry and a sucker for chicken wings I decided I was going to get some.  The only problem, I didn't know where the Domino's in my town was. Good thing I have the Internet. When I went to Domino's site, I clicked on the deal I had seen on TV. A 2 topping medium pizza and 8 chicken wings for $5.99 each. The first thing that came up was an online ordering system.  I was able to complete my whole order online with very little effort. After placing the order they provided a tracking page that allows me to see how far along my order was.  Talk about speeding up the ordering and pickup process.  For a guy who spends a lot of time online, this is a genius idea and it makes me wonder why everyone else isn't doing it.

I ordered my favorite pizza, Pineapple and Pepperoni and I got it on their garlic-seasoned crust, and 8 of their Sweet Mango Habanero wings. They actually offer 4 different flavors:  Hot, Sweet Mango Habanero, BBQ and Plain. They also came with one free dipping sauce (Kicker Hot Sauce, Sweet Mango Habanero, BBQ, and Ranch), which I applaud  because it seems like more and more establishments are starting to charge for the little things like dipping sauce. See: Wing Coop, Little Caesars.

I will be honest, my expectations for the wings were pretty low. I haven't had wings from a franchise pizza joint that I have really liked. To my surprise the wings were actually pretty good.  The sauce was thick and in abundance. The wings were nether too sweet, or too hot, but were balanced very well. There was just enough heat to get my nose running after a few wings, but not enough to cause my mouth to be on fire.  The ranch dressing dipping sauce had a nice zip to it that complimented the wings very nicely.

The pizza was by far the best Domino's pizza I have had to date, which tells me they really are trying to make their pizza better.  The sauce was good, the pepperonis were yummy, and the pineapple was slightly roasted (from baking) and sweet.  My only real complaint was that I think there was too much sauce which gave it a slight soggy texture.  My biggest surprise though was the crust.  I LOVED the crust.  I literally was looking forward to eating the crust.  Usually the crust is an afterthought and most of the times it is never eaten.  The crust was light and airy, with a nice hint of garlic and creamy butter.  I would buy a pizza with no toppings just to have the crust.  It think  they call those bread sticks.   The next time I order I will have to get some bread sticks to see if they are the same.

I guess it just goes to show that the power of advertising really does work.  If it wasn't for me not eating dinner until really late and a Domino's commercial showing great tasting food, I may never had tried Domino's Pizza, and I would have been missing out on one of the easiest ordering experiences of my life, not to mention probably the best pizza crust I have had.


Rating:

Today's Wings: 7
Overall Wings: 7
Today's Pizza: 7 (9 for the crust)
Customer Service: 10 (I ordered from a computer)
Overall Satisfaction: 8

URL:
Domino's Pizza

Domino's Pizza on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment